This is a question I’m pondering this morning.
What would the world look like if we liked ourselves?
You know the famous “treat your neighbor as yourself” Well we are suppose to be treating our neighbor kindly. If you can’t even treat yourself kindly, there is no way your treating others the way they deserve to be treated.
I bet we don’t even notice the way we talk to ourselves. Calling ourselves stupid when we make a mistake. Looking in the mirror and instead of seeing successes we see failures. Blaming yourself for things that are out of control. Not forgiving yourself for decisions made in the past.
All this adds up to a toxic hamster wheel of garbage. All day we speak and think garbage about ourselves yet expect the next new diet fad to fix everything.
I’m wondering what would actually happen if we liked ourselves! You know that time when your kid did something stupid but you could see past the mistake and still continued to love them? Why can’t we do this to ourselves? Why is it so hard to feel proud of yourself, tell your self good job and embrace who you are?
You deserve to be treated better. People who love themselves are not selfish people, they are people who take care of themselves so they can then take care of the world. If you don’t invest in myself, you have nothing to give others. People “leak” what they have inside of them. If you are full of hate, there is no way to hide that. Stop fooling yourself, people know. You exude what is inside.
“If you aren’t good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone. Since you will resent the time and energy you gave another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself.” – Barbara De Angelis
Learn how to like yourself.
1.Forget past mistakes. All the time you have is right now, literally right now. Forget what happened last year and move on.
2. Smile at yourself in the mirror. Awkward I know….give it a try. Take some time before rushing off to your day to smile at yourself.
3. Celebrate small victories! Did you eat anything healthy today? Discover a new hobby you love? Celebrate! Tell someone about it who can celebrate with you. Be proud of your progress.
4. Visualize yourself succeeding. Do you have a secret dream in your head? Something you have always wanted to do? Take some time and close your eyes, not visualize yourself doing that thing. Be detailed with your visualizations not general. What does it feel like? Smell like?
“No one can make you happy until your happy with yourself first”
5. Stop caring what others are thinking all the time. This is such a huge energy zapper. If you spend your day arguing in your head with other people it will take some practice and discipline to stop. But please stop, you could be using all those neurons for way more productive things!
6. Get around positive people! Being around negative people is a deal breaker for me. All the complaining and talking bad about others is not the way I want my brain to function. Try to place yourself around people who will celebrate who you are!
7. Invest in yourself. Use your time and money to start those classes you have been wanting to take. Exercise, journal, get counseling, eat healthy, find ways to improve your mind, body and emotions.
“Insecurity is an ugly thing, it makes you hate people you don’t even know.”
So what does all this have to do with your health? “Low self-esteem means more than just feeling bad, it also means the body isn’t functioning in a very healthy way, this could have serious health implications down the road.” (1) Negative self talk triggers the bodies fight or flight nervous system causing inflammation and stress. This increases autoimmune disease and heart conditions. Investing in yourself greatly reduces depression and stress.
Thinking more positive lowers blood pressure. When we like ourselves we take the time to eat healthy, exercise, love others, learn new things and make the world a better place.